Saturday 23 December 2017

End of Year Book Wrap Up

Hello Bibliophiles! Welcome to my end of the year book wrap up! I didn't do too well with my reading this year as I only managed to read 12 books including poetry (it's been a hell of a busy year). Regardless of the amount of books I have read, I will still give you an overview of them...

First up is...

If I Was Your Girl

This book was the first I read this year and is a heartwarming story about a trans teen who is trying to come to terms of how she fits into the world. It's a romantic, learn to love yourself book full of happy and sad tears. I rated this book 3/5 ☆ as it wasn't entirely plausible.

Amanda is keeping a secret from the kids at her school. And when they find out, there's only trouble lying ahead for her...


The Art of Being Normal

This book was a personal favourite of mine this year as it was raw, realistic and moving. There was true emotion within the pages that reminded me of Jacqueline Wilson's writing I used to love so much as a child. There are twists and turns as the main characters come to terms with their identities and family lives. It's a must read for anyone who wants to know more about the LGBT community and loves YA.

I rated this book 5/5 ☆ because it was a heart wrenching roller-coaster of emotion and realism. You can read my review here.


A Street Cat Named Bob

This biography was an eye opener for me about homelessness, drug addiction and companionship. This story is about a homeless man called James who befriends a troublesome cat called Bob and together they find their purpose in this sometimes cruel world. Together, they are unstoppable. I recommend this book highly as it is written by James himself. There are several other books about Bob for children and there's even a movie. 


All The Bright Places

Unfortunately this book was one of my least favourites of the year and you can read why here. It wasn't an easy read and maybe this was a trigger from my past or maybe it was just poorly written and thought out. I don't recommend this book and I gave it 2/5 ☆ Hopefully you enjoy it more than I did.


Some Assembly Required

This was also a biography I read this year about a transguy's journey through childhood into adulthood. I recommend it to anyone who wants to know more about the logistics involved with taking testosterone and the amount of stress and depression involved with transition. You can read my review here.

Geekerella

This book transported me to my childhood and I absolutely loved it! It's a retelling of Cinderella where Danielle tries to win a contest but she goes through a journey of love and friendship before she reaches the beginning of her Happily Ever After. Poston's writing is quirky, fun and had me laughing out loud. I recommend to anyone who loves YA, Fantasy, romance, quirky and LGBT books. You can read my review here.


Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

I also didn't enjoy this book by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn. Don't get me wrong, I thought the film was interesting and every YA addict's dream - but this book was a disaster from start to finish with the use of profanity on nearly every single page. It was like it was written by a typical boy and girl teenager. David's parts were fine but Rachel's just let the book down. I give this book 1/5 ☆ You can read my review here.


Sinner

Sinner was high on my To Be Read list this year and I managed to read it. Maggie Stiefvater's spin off frm the Shiver trilogy did not disappoint. Written from the perspective of Cole St Clair and Isabel Culpeper, it tells a story about their inevitable romance. And while it's nothing like Grace and Sam's relationsip in the series, it's a tale of forbidden love that needs to be told. I highly recommend reading the Shiver trilogy first. I gave this 4/5 ☆



The Light We Lost

Also one of my favourites this year, it is a story about soulmates, love, passion and life. It's raw and thought provoking, making me cry and laugh out loud. I recommend this book to anyone going through heartbreak, loss or anyone who wants to read a mature perspective about love and its consequences. I bought this book on a whim and I'm so glad I did. Ever since I read it I've recommended it to friends going through heartbreak and they've read it too. If I could give it a thousand stars I would. Definitely a must read. You can read my review here.

Everything Everything

I promise this is the last book I didn't like! Everything Everything was an easy read but also a boring one. The twist was the only exciting bit and even then it was too far fetched. I actually preferred watching the film on my way to New York instead of reading this whirlwind romance. You can find my review here. I gave this book 2/5 ☆



Poetry

Milk and Honey

I adored Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur. I thought it was a breath of fresh air and a new way of writing poetry. Since reading it I have taken up writing poems which I never thought I could do. It's an uplifting account of a woman's life and I recommend it to anyone - even if you aren't a fan of poetry, this is a important read. You can read my favourite poems of Kaur's here.


The Princess Saves Herself In This One

Like Milk and Honey, I devoured this book with hours of purchasing it. Both books are beautifully written and deserve to be read by anyone who will listen. The Princess Saves Herself In This One is a great read for anyone who is grieving, going through heartbreak, has found a new love or anyone who's trying to figure life out. Go out, buy this book and you won't be sorry. I can't wait to read The Witch Doesn't Burn In This One and Sunflowers by Rupi Kaur. You can read my review here.


Remember to subscribe and follow! My Instagram is @neurotic.writer.ramblings



No comments:

Post a Comment