Saturday 17 February 2018

Book Review: Another Day by David Levithan

Once I read every day and heard there was a sequel, I couldn’t wait to read it. However, for some reason I put it off for months and then I picked it up. I don’t know what I expected – maybe a story after the story; instead we see Rhiannon’s part of the story, how she feels about A, his nonexistent gender, sexuality and her unhealthy relationship with Justin. 

We all want her to leave him but she’s scared to. David manages to write about real problems in an imaginative way so that we question life itself – the path it wants for us and if gender, sexuality and everything else matters. The truth is it doesn’t. David is gay and he understands how gender shouldn’t matter. But it isn’t easy for someone who has only dated/crushed on boys or girls.


I’m pansexual, which means I like people regardless of their gender. In theory, it would make sense that were always able to do this – to love someone for their personality, not their gender or body or looks. But is isn’t that easy. These factors can come into play and David teaches us that this is okay. 

Rhiannon loves A because of who he is inside – not all the bodies he inhabits. There were other factors to this situation that make it a difficult decision for Rhiannon. A moves around all the time into different bodies – which isn’t fair for both of them. Ultimately, this book – and all of Levithan’s – makes your mind boggle in wonder. 

David makes us question things we never knew needed questioning. That’s why he’s a brilliant writer. Very few writers have me hooked to binge their books but Levithan always manages to do this.


I highly recommend you read Every Day and Another Day – in that order. You may get annoyed with how indecisive Rhiannon is, but she also makes you aware of how indecisive we all are. Let David’s writing keep you up all night with questions. I hope you read it and if you have, please tell me what you thought.


Don’t forget to follow and subscribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment