Saturday 21 April 2018

Books: Childhood Favourites

Hey guys, Vee here. I hope your week hasn't been too bad and I hope you have a fabulous weekend. In this week's blog I'm going to be talking about my childhood favourite books that got me into reading.

A Series Of Unfortunate Events

This series was a godsend when I was younger. I thought the world was just one bad thing after another and even though the books are quite morbid, they were also a comfort to me. My mum started reading them to me from an early age, maybe 7? And we carried on from there. After a while mum bought me the audio tapes and we'd listen to them together until I fell asleep. To this day I still listen to them and I think they're suitable for anyone at any age. I will certainly be reading them to my children.

Those are my most vivid memories from that age - curling up with the Baudelair's and mum to listen to the adventures they were having. I recommend them to any mums wanting to read to their young children or even if you are a teen wanting to start the series.

I didn't start reading until I was about 9 because I didn't go to school and was reluctant to read. Once I picked up a book, that was it, I had found my escape.

(I apologise for images; I borrowed these from the library so don't have mine own.)


Warrior Cats

I started reading Warrior Cats when I was about 9 and absolutely loved that cats could talk with each other and have never ending adventures. They really helped me learn to read and I think I went through all 6 books really quickly. I started the new series but gave up because it felt repetitive.

I definitely recommend Warrior Cats to young children starting to read longer books. I still remember sitting down and being transfixed by this story.


Jacqueline Wilson

Of course I grew up in the time of Tracy Beaker and Jacqueline Wilson, who didn't? I remember reading loads of her books when I was little - I had them handed down or bought for me by my aunt. Lola Rose is one that I've read multiple times; I think because I related to it so much and I loved the fact that Lola had escaped and given herself a new identity. Her books are an obvious must read for any young person and even teens.

I hope you guys enjoyed this. Let me know in the comments what your childhood favourites were. Love, Vee x

1 comment:

  1. I think... maybe "A Journey to the River Sea" by Eva Ibbotson was my absolute favourite. I also loved "Emil of Maple Hills" by Astrid Lindgren. My Father was reading this "Emil" to me and my sister many times. We never read it ourselves (of course we could). But it was just thsi special time in the evening. I also liked "Pollyanna" by Eleanor H. Porter and "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" by Kate Douglas Wiggins. There were many... I loved reading:).

    www.editions-lumiere.com

    ReplyDelete