Saturday 28 April 2018

How To Get Over Reading Slumps

Hey guys! I hope you're having a lovely weekend. In this week's blog I'm going to be talking about reading slumps and how I deal with them, as well as how others overcome it.

Reading slumps can make you feel sad, depressed and even lonely. But the important thing to remember is that you shouldn't feel guilty about not reaching your reading goal this month. Take your time, breathe and come back to it when you can.

We know that most people, including me, are sometimes too busy to read because of working or studying full time. It must be especially hard to read when studying full time as you're already diving into textbooks all day! Although reading is important to me, I am guilty of just streaming Netflix because I'm so tired from work.

One way I try to combat reader's block is simply by not reading! I figure, that when my brain is ready to come back to Earth and read, it will. I need to give myself time to think and while reading, I can't concentrate on my problems; this can be a blessing to help me forget my surroundings or it can be a burden as I sometimes read the same paragraph over again and again.

Another way I try to overcome reader's block is by picking up a short story; recently I was reading Turtles All the Way Down by John Green and because it's such a heavy subject and it takes me a while to take in his stories, I decided to pick up Because You Love to Hate Me which is compiled of 13 short stories. I have been slowly making my way through these stories while taking a break from Turtles All the Way Down.


I asked members of The Fiction Cafe - Book Club to give examples of how they overcome reader slumps.

Krista said she "Will turn to YA fiction. Something that's an easy read." Sometimes changing genre really does help a reader slump!

Ulrike said his way of overcoming slumps is to "Watch a lot of Netflix/Amazon Prime/iPlayer until my brain starts craving books again. It allows me to catch up with all the TV I like so I embrace the odd reader's block." I also do this and enjoy watching all the shows I'm binge watching.

Brenda said: "I usually change genres or read graphic novels and manga books to get over my reading slump."

Lynda said: "It always helps me to re-read a favourite book." I think we all have a go-to book that we love and it can help to re-read it every now and then!

Megan said that "Sometimes I re-read something I really loved to return the spark. Even something I liked from my childhood can bring back a bit of magic. I do occasionally have a read through a few very dog-eared Enid Blyton novels!" My childhood favourites were Jacqueline Wilson books and are the only ones that I have re-read!

What are some of your ways of coping with reader slumps? I'd love to know so comment down below! Until next time, love Vee x


No comments:

Post a Comment