Saturday 26 May 2018

Poetry Review: the witch doesn't burn in this one

Hey guys! In this week's blog I'm going to be talking about and reviewing Amanda Lovelace's second installment of poetry. I have read the princess saves herself in this one and it was one of the best collections of modern poetry I have read. I'm also open to more poetry book suggestions so please feel free to comment your recommendations!

So Amanda Lovelace's idea of poetry is different to the normal, old fashioned type but in lots of ways it's so much better in getting messages across. In this second poetry collection, Lovelace explores topics such as revenge, politics, sexual assault and feminism.

When I first read the book my first impression was that it was very anti men. I haven't been through her experiences so I can't comment on that but I feel like most of the poems attacked men - maybe it was just aimed at rapists and bad men but for me, I would feel rather uneasy about reading this as a guy.


However, Lovelace explores her inner strength in this book as well as her previous one. She writes mostly about women helping women, supporting one another; knowing that we are strong. I think it's so important that she has written about this subject because we do need to stick together and change the world through art. If even one person reads your work, that might be the sign they needed. That might be the thing that they need to hear. If your art can change or empower another person, even just one person, it's still worth writing, painting, drawing, crafting.

Lovelace also explores eating disorders and how we see ourselves. Lots of young people could feel less alone just by reading her poems. A major theme in this book is having confidence and exploring how that isn't a bad thing. As long as you don't have a massive ego but you love who you are, that's all that matters.

We need to cheer each other on and that's what I have taken away from this book. I want to stand up for myself and be the happiest version of me possible. Reading Lovelace's poetry always inspires me to follow my dreams - shouldn't all writers' work have that effect?

Have you read any of her work? If you haven't I highly recommend getting down to your local bookstore or online to buy both her works! Until next week, Vee x

No comments:

Post a Comment